Bedford-Sackville Physiotherapy Clinic Inc. offers a variety of treatment options that our physiotherapists, massage therapists, and occupational therapist provide to get you back to what you love doing.
During your appointments, your therapist will review with you your concerns and goals prior to treatment through an individual assessment. Our therapists have specific knowledge in assessing and treatment that they tailor to each individual. You will get the treatment that is right for your body.
As your therapists we promise to welcome you into a caring and professional environment, to listen with respect and respond to your concerns. In order to do that effectively we would appreciate your commitment to participate fully in your treatment program and to talk to us about your treatment and how it is feeling.
Physiotherapy is designed to help patients restore and maintain their physical health through evaluation of the body. Physiotherapists help relieve pain and improve function through techniques such as:
• Uses specific hands-on techniques to mobilize, stretch, or manipulate soft tissues or joints to reduce pain and inflammation, increase movement, induce relaxation and improve function.
• The prescription and progression of specific and individualized exercises to correct improper movement or posture and create symptom free activity.
• An ancient way of stimulating healing in the body through the insertion of very fine needles through the skin. We use "anatomical" acupuncture, considering the anatomy and physiology of the area being treated, as a physiotherapy modality.
• A therapeutic treatment that involves the repetitive insertion of a fine needle into painfully tight muscle trigger points.
• Is acupuncture of the outer ear and assists the body's natural ability to heal. Acupunture points on the ear correspond with parts on the body and thus enables the therapist to treat painful joints, sore muscles, headaches, stress and anxiety, hormonal imbalances for example by needling the ear. Symptom relief is often immediate!
• Method of treatment where gentle pressure is applied into fascial restricted areas. This helps relieve pain, headaches, chronic fatigue, and restore function.
• Therapeutic medical lasers heal tissue by injecting visible and invisible laser light deep into tissues. Cells in the tissue absorb the laser light energy and transform it into chemical energy to significantly accelerate the healing process and reduce pain in the body naturally.
• Gives non-restrictive support comfortably and allows muscles to have full range of motion. The tape allows for fluids under the skin to move freely where the tape is placed reducing inflammation and discomfort.
• Teaching about the nature of your condition and how to best care for yourself to promote healing including, but not limited to proper posture, the use of heat or ice, proper exercise and bracing or supports if needed.
Massage Therapy Services:
Massage therapy is the manual manipulation of the soft tissues of the body used to reduce pain, increase mobility and improve or maintain function. This is done through techniques such as:
Therapeutic/Deep Tissue Massage
• Massage technique that focuses on the deeper layers of connective tissue and muscle to relieve chronic and contracted areas of the body. This technique helps with tighness, stiffness, or for more general soreness.
• Massage technique that focuses purely on relaxation to relieve tension or stress.
• Technique that focuses on expectant mothers, where their body is positioned and supported for safey and comfort. This technique can reduce swelling, releive pains, and reduce stress.
• Technique that is gentler than a deep tissue massage to release tension and knots and is focused on relaxtion and muscle ease.
Trigger Point Release
• Technique that is used to relieve the pain and tension caused by trigger points in the body.
• Method of treatment where gantle pressure is applied into fascial restricted areas. This helps back pain, chronic pain, headaches, chronic fatigue, and much more.
• Method of treatment where cups are placed on the skin by suction or fire and draws underlying tissues to the surface. This releases the toxins, activates the lymphatic system, helps activate and clear the veins, arteries, and capillaries, and activates the skin.
Occupational Therapy Services- Heather Boudreau OT
Occupational therapy provides patients with the skills to lead a healthy and productice lifestyle by modifying the aspects of life that slow us down. Occupational therapists help their patients to adapt to the equipment they use, modify the environment they're in and work through the injury that is holding them back through techniques such as:
• Assesments that are completed to ensure that the job and/or workstation are an appropriate fit to the worker.
Functional Capacity Evaluations
• Assesments that measure the functional abilities of a patient to determine if they can safely perform their job duties.
Return To Work Programs
• Structured exercise programs used to maximize a worker's functional abilities to develop and monitor that person's gradual return to regualr hours and duties at their job.
Job Site Evaluations
• Objective assessments of the physical demands of a job.
• Programs tailored to individual patients to help them build strength to the injured part of their body and get them back to working and life pain free. The programs are also made to prevent further injury from occuring once returning to work.
Nutritional Counseling - Julia Hudson RD
• One on one guidance, counseling and education on dietary issues related to MVA, chronic pain and rehabilitation, hydration, medications, appetite, unintended weight loss and weight gain, vitamins and supplements, inflammation and wound healing. Includes a follow up sessions and E-support for 1 month.
• Small group presentations on various topics to support our community's health and clients' rehabilitation